Is Trek Insurance Really Necessary?Trek: Annapurna Base Camp
When purchasing insurance, we tend to cover our home, vehicle, and other valuable assets but rarely does anyone think about getting trekking insurance. If you are someone who frequently loves climbing mountains then it is high time that you begin thinking about trekking insurance. While trekking is not as big an investment as buying a house, it is an adventurous activity that comes with a certain amount of risk.
When climbing a mountain you never know what may happen, you can injure yourself or fall sick or develop higher forms of AMS, in which case it requires a significant amount of money for treatment or evacuation. There could be an avalanche or a flood or any kind of risky situation due to unpredictable weather. Also, even though you might have life insurance or medical insurance but there is a high chance that these insurance do not cover the mishaps that happen on a trek and this is where trekking insurance comes into play.
What Is Trekking Insurance?
Trekking insurance is insurance coverage that provides financial coverage in case of any mishap during your trekking expedition. Whether you are affected by a natural catastrophe, need emergency evacuation, or medical attention, trekking insurance will cover such situations. Trekking insurances are usually short-term and they end when the trek ends. Here’s what trekking insurance covers,
- Covers trekking injuries
- Covers medical & emergency(AMS, HAPE, HACO) evacuation in case rescue is needed
- Provides AD&D benefits in case of death
- Offers repatriation coverage in case of death
- May offer Travel Insurance too (depends on the policy)
Why Do You Need Trekking Insurance?
- However skilled the team is or prepared we are for a trek, we know mountains are unpredictable. Anything can happen anytime, that is the reason we all love this adventure activity. We like the mystery of the mountains. You may go to the same mountain a thousand times, but the experience will be different each time. Of course, the risk is less for easy treks having less altitude gain. As the height increases, the uncertainty of the mountains also increases. And the assurance of all is good decreases. Then comes the assurance of the insurance!
- Trek insurance covers a maximum of the medical expenses starting from evacuation to hospital and treatment fees. It also covers the theft of goods during the trek. Sometimes natural calamities like earthquakes and landslides can also deter a trek and in such times, your insurance provider will pay for the majority of the train or flight costs.
Which Insurance Agency To Choose?
Remember that in India there is no established market for Trekking or Adventure Insurance. Bajaj Allianz has been introduced to cover adventure activities but they have tight conditions. Another organization based only on Adventure Sports Insurance is ASC360. Things they cover depend on the height of the trek/expedition. Please read all their policies before applying. For our Nepal treks, we suggest ASC360. They are a proficient insurance agency.
Having trekking insurance assures that you have a contented trip without having to worry. With trekking insurance, you can relish your adventure with a peaceful mind.