The pasture lands of Uttarakhand’s alpine heights are focal points for many of our splendid treks in the region. These are the Bugyals—fecund grassy uplands secreted away in mountain laps where shepherds take their herds in summer days before the winter snow renders them fallow. Dayara is a relatively lesser-known Bugyal, accessible from Uttarkashi by just a short, crisp trek but it pays off magnificent rewards.
Dayara in the local tongue refers to a circular plot of land, reflecting the hoop-shaped grassy turf of this Bugyal, margined by dark oak and maple woods, and beyond the green reaches, a glowing snowline of the Bandarpoonch and other ranges. A rambling walk through the undulated pastures of Dayara will bring you out of the world frames of its green ecosystem, the whispering wilderness of the oak woods, and somewhere far away, a breathless peak view panorama gradually unveiled. Along the entire stretch, at different junctures, you can catch glimpses of the Gangotri set of peaks, Srikanth peak, Bandarpoonch, and Black Peak.
Another high point of the journey comes on the fourth day when we are ascending 12, 100 ft. from our Dayara campsite to Dayara Top. A ridge walk takes you to convergences of many adjoining meadows including the Giddara Bugyal. You will also find a decent trail to Dodital- a freshwater lake that is the origin of Assi Ganga. The summer meadows are infused on this stretch with a spray of wildflowers, all yellow. On all of this paradisiacal effervescence, the snow thatched Bandarpoonch will cast an iridescent impression. The walk ambles down from here to Barsu, a pretty settlement memorable for its silkenly flowing buckwheat fields and poppy beds. Before reaching the village, we make the last stop at Barnala, a small crystal waterhole flanked by a temple of the Nag Devata.
Dayara Bugyal Trek is an excellent choice for beginners, makes for a phantasmagorical photo-op, and is an absolute delight for naturalists.
Day 1 : Dehradun To Natin Village
- Altitude: Natin Village – 2,250 m/ 7,400 ft
- Distance: 180 km | Duration: 7 hrs
- Market at Uttarkashi, another small market in Bhatwari
- Network is available
- View of Gangotri Range from Moryana Top
- Front view of Shrikanth peak and massif view of Gangotri from Natin
- Pickup time: 6:00 am at the parking of Dehradun Railway Station
- Stay in guesthouse
- Route: Dehradun – Suwakholi – Moryana Top – Uttarkashi – Bhatwari – Raithal – Natin Village
Day 2 : Natin to Gui
- Altitude (Gui): 2,900 m/ 9,500 ft
- Trek Distance: 3.5 km | Duration: 4 to 5 hrs
- Altitude Gain: 650 m/ 2,100 ft
- Easy trail. Gradual easy ascend
- Hot lunch at the campsite.
- A well-marked trail to the campsite
- No water sources, carry 2 liters of water
- The same view as Natin, village huts around, campsite surrounded by forests of Silver and Golden Oak trees bloomed with Rhododendron.
- Stay on meadows in tents ( 2 people in one tent)
Day 3 : Gui to Chilapada
- Altitude (Chilpada): 3,000 m/ 9,800 ft
- Trek Distance: 3 km | Duration: 2 hrs
- Altitude Gain: 100 m/ 300 ft
- Easy trail, gradual walk, easiest day of the trek
- Hot lunch at the campsite
- One liter of water is enough
- Stay in tents
Day 4 : Chilpada To Dayara Top And Trek To Nayata
- Altitude (Dayara Top): 3,700 m/ 12,100 ft | (Nayata): 2,800 m/ 9,200 ft
- Trek Distance: Chilpada – Dayara Top: 5 km | Duration: 5-6 hr | Dayara Top – Nayta: 6 km | Duration: 3-4 hr
- Easy to moderate trail
- Packed lunch on the way
- Carry enough water, only one water source near the top
- Massive views of many peaks and Dodital Range from top
- Stay in tent
Day 5 : Nayata to Natin Village
- Altitude (Natoin Village): 2,250 m/ 7,400 ft
- Distance: 5 km | Duration: 3 hrs
- Altitude loss: 550 m/ 1,800 ft
- Easy descend all the way
- Hot lunch at Natin
- Stay in guesthouse
Day 6 : Natin to Dehradun
- Drive Distance: 180 km | Duration: 6-7 hrs drive to Dehradun
- Leave Natin by 6:30 am
- Breakfast and lunch excluded
- You will be dropped at Dehradun Station in a Tata Sumo/ Tempo Traveller or a similar vehicle
- You will reach Dehradun between 3-4 pm. You can book your travel any time after 6 pm
- Note: Distance, altitude, and trekking hours are approximate and rounded off.
Trek Charges Inclusions:-
- Transportation :- Dehradun to Dehradun by Tempo Traveller or Mini Buses or similar
- Accommodation:-(Guest house, Camping)
- All meals while on trek (including tea/coffee, soup, snacks etc.) from Day 1 Breakfast to day 6 Lunch.
Mountaineering qualified & professional trek Leader
High Altitude chef
- Safety Equipment :
First aid medical kits
- Trekking Equipment’s:
High Quality Sleeping bag, Camping Mattress.
Four Season 3 Men Tents, Kitchen & Dinning tent, Toilet tent
Gaiters and micro spikes (if required)
- All necessary permits and entry fees
- Mules to carry central equipment
- Trek Completion Certificate
- Village cultural tour
- Extra Luggage storage facility in Natin
- Daily yoga and stretching
- Mussoorie sightseeing on way back to dehradun
Trek charges Exclusions:
- Any kind of personal expense
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head
- Any extra meals outside of package
- Mules to carry rucksack.
Trek Information and Documentation
- 2 Copies Aadhaar/ DL with 2 passport size photographs
- Download the Medical Disclaimer. It needs to be signed by an MBBS doctor.
- Parent Declaration form (Under 18 yrs.) Download from here (III Section)
Who can participate?
- Age; 13 years.
- First timer can apply; previous trekking experience is more appreciated.
- The climber must be fit and have sufficient stamina to cover 4 km of distance in 30 minutes without a stress.
- The climber should be able to carry a 10-12 kg backpack.
- Pulse rate at rest must be in between (60 to 90 beats per minute)
- Blood Pressure Reading must be in between (DIASTOLIC 75 – 85, SYSTOLIC 100 – 130 mm Hg)
- Respiratory rate at rest must be in between (12 to 20 breaths per minute)
- Should not have Liver and kidney issues
- Should not have Diabetes Mellitus, Bronchial Asthma, Epilepsy, Heart problems, Very High blood pressure etc
- No pacemaker implant