Trek that comprises an alpine lake is always a treat and when you can witness not one but two alpine lakes on the same trek, it is an incredible experience. During winters, while most lake treks are out of bounds, Brahmatal Trek remains accessible, allowing you to enjoy the serenity of the mountains and the glacial lakes even in the winters.
Brahmatal Trek is one of the most popular treks in the Indian Himalayas. A perfect blend of adventure and serenity, this is one of the unmissable treks. Brahmatal Lake is popular for its scenic beauty as well the mythos associated with it. Nestled in the nooks of Garhwal Himalayas, the trek lets you experience the varied Himalayan landscapes. From shadowy forests to snow-covered meadows and lakeside campsites, the treks offer many surprises.
The magnificent lake stands at 12000 ft. with Mt. Trishul and Mt. Nanda Ghunti towering in the skyline. If there isn’t too much snow, you can camp beside the lake itself, making for a surreal experience. Also, while Brahmatal is getting all the hype, let us not completely forget about Bekaltal, another equally astonishing Lake amidst the snowy meadows.
Sighting an alpine lake in dense forest covers is a rare thing and yet this trek offers two such gems. As you trek through the forests, the snow hanging heavy on the leaves and branches creates a dreamy setting. While this is a fairly new trek, owing to its beauty and charm it has become immensely popular. Another great thing about this trek is that it is suitable both for experienced as well as a beginner or not-so-experienced trekkers.
Day 1 : Reaching Lohajung From Rishikesh
- Altitude: 2,300 m/ 7,662 ft
- Drive Distance: 250 km | Duration: 10 hrs
- Pickup Point: TTH Head Office, (Tapovan) | Time: 6:00 AM
- Local market and network available at Lohajung
- Stay: In a guesthouse
- Route: Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Karanprayag – Dewal – Lohajung
Day 2 : Trek From Lohajung To Brown Lake Bekaltal
- Bekaltal: 3,000 m/ 9,950 ft
- Trek Distance: 6 km | Duration: 4-5 hrs
- Altitude Gain: 700m/ 2,150 ft
- Difficulty: Moderate level of ascent through a forest
- One-third of the trek is through a village and the rest is through the forest
- Hot lunch at campsite
- Water Source: Springs and manmade water sources
- Bekaltal is 15 minutes walk from the campsite
- Take an evening walk to Bekalatal Lake and enjoy a sunset view
- Stay: in tents (twin-sharing)
Day 3 : Trek From Bekaltal To Brahmatal
- Brahmatal: 3,200 m/ 10,450 ft
- Jhandi Top: 3,400 m/ 11,150 ft
- Trek Distance: 7 km | Duration: 6 to 7 hrs
- Altitude Gain: 400 m/ 1,300 ft
- Steep ascent for 1.3 hours via Bekaltal followed by gradual ascent. A steep descent in the next section and the final leg has a gradual descent till the campsite.
- Hot lunch provided at the campsite
- Water Source: No water source on the way, so carry at least 2 liters of water from the campsite with you.
- A very scenic day can see Shivalik and Greater Himalayas
- Go for an evening walk to Brahmatal Lake, about 500m from the campsite.
- Stay: in tents (twin-sharing basis)
Day 4 : Trek From Brahmatal To Daldum via Brahmatal Pass
- Daldum Altitude: 2,850 m/ 9,350 ft
- Brahmatal Pass Altitude: 3,500 m/ 11,570 ft
- Trek Distance: 12 km | Duration: 8 to 9 hrs.
- Difficulty: Moderate ascent till Brahmatal Pass. After Pass, descend till Daldum Campsite via Jhandi Top.
- Walk across Rhododendron and Oak forest.
- Packed lunch at the summit
- 360-degree views from the summit
- The First 180 degrees covers Chaukhamba, Mana, Mandir, Neelkanth, Nilgiri, Nanda Ghunti, Trishul, Maitoli all the way to the Panchachuli Ranges and the rest are the Shivalik Himalayan Ranges.
- Water source: None. Carry at least two liters of water with you.
- Stay: in camps (twin-sharing)
Day 5 : Descending To Lohajung
- Lohajung Altitude: 2,350 m/ 7,700 ft
- Trek Distance: 4 km | Duration: 3 to 4 hrs
- Altitude Loss: 500 m/ 1,650 ft
- Gradual and steep mixed ascent
- Walking stick and knee cap will help a lot
- Water source: One water source along the way
- Stay: In a guesthouse
Day 6 : Returning To Rishikesh
- Distance: 210 km
- Drive Duration: 10 hours
- After morning tea travel towards Rishikesh (breakfast and lunch on the way)
- Reach Rishikesh by 6:00 PM